front/rear shock swap - Yamaha FZ8 Forum : Fazer8 FZ-8 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

front/rear shock swap

i'm thinking about swappig out the internals from another 43mm fork and the rear shock for something that allows for more preload/dampening adjustments. For my sv, i swapped out the rear shock for one off a zx14 and it worked amazingly well. on the front i added ricor imitators and it improved the front. does anyone have any recommendations? i'll give it a go if someone recommends something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 01:22 AM

I am contemplating sending my forks to Race Tech or Factory Connection. Race Tech rebuilt my Suzuki RMZ450 motocross bike forks and shock for my weight and style of riding so I am going to see if they can work the same magic on my fronts. If they say it can be done with just internals and caps I will post it. I believe the shock will have to be replaced. Has anyone taken measurements of their shock?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

thank tanracing. yeah, i'm still looking to see which rear shock will be a perfect fit. i need something that is sprung heavier and it would be nice to have something more adjustable. there's a lot of room back there so if it has a 45 degree or 90 degree reservoir is shoulnd't be a problem.

i have a friend at a yamaha shop who'd keeping an eye out on r1 forks. they get bikes that get banged up all the time there, so he always replacing stuff. he's gonna check the travel and measure out the rods to see if the internals w/caps swap.

funny how we had 70 views and not one person responded. looks like this forum is gonna be a real blast! can barely hold on to my seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 03:53 PM

This forum is the quieter one for sure, but still any info is a good thing.
When I streetfightered my 1200 Bandit, I swapped out the rear shock with a Fox remote unit and it transformed the bike.
I plan on doing the same with the 8

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

still looking to see what would make a good swap. the bike is up there in weight, so i don't know if a rear shock from another bike will help any. still looking to i'll report back. also going to post the question up on my old furum, maybe some one there may want to throw their two cents in. . . considering the activity here is very light.

contact the people at ricor shock and they are looking into whether their 43 mm imitator will work on the fz. if it does, i'm looking to see if they'll offer discount as they did w.the sv's. i put them on my sv and it improved the front a lot, for little out of pocket.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 12:33 AM

This is one area I'm looking into as well. I do know that the 8 front forks are longer then an r1 and/or 6. But I have also read that others have swapped out the 8s suspenders for ones off a Fazer. If you were going to put the money in to stock parts to have them sprung to match you and the 8s setup is non adjustable then the FZ1 maybe the next best thing.

I also had a SV and did the shock swap...I loved it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ8 Forum : Fazer8 FZ-8 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page