Dynamic Fuel guage - gas mileage - Yamaha FZ8 Forum : Fazer8 FZ-8 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Dynamic Fuel guage - gas mileage

Ok so I know that we have a 4.5 gal tank and our fuel gauge is dynamic or flashes low fuel and begins the fuel trip meter based on your recent riding behavior, but I wonder if mine is similar to everyone elses.

My low fuel indicator begins flashing at around 99 to 119 miles and each time I have filled up I have had over a gallon left in the tank. So it seems my guage is a little premature and I am wondering how some of the reviews indicate a 200 mile range.

How many miles have you gone after the fuel gauge indicates low fuel and what is the best mileage you have received?

I have had my bike for 10 days - have 548 miles on her and have not really ridden her hard yet. Aside from pleasure rides of about 50 miles each time I ride about 25 miles each way to work and it is all at highway speed. I have yet to go on an extended trip and it was only today that I hit 10 grand on the tach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 09:08 AM

i am getting about the same as you and my guage is doing the same thing. I fill up at 100 mile or so regardless. It is not good practice to let your tank go empty. It promotes condensation in the tank in cooler weather

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Ok good I was starting to think something was wrong with my guage. So far I have not pushed the reserve as I have gone to far and had to push it but with over a gallon still in the tank I am going to start at 30 on the fuel trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 10:21 PM

On A Normal Day To Day I Had The Exact Same Deal. 25 Miles To Work 1 Way.
But I Have Ridden 147 Miles Straight, With Keeping The Revs Around 6 Before It Started Blinking, So I Know It Can Come Close.
Also I've Noticed When You Fill The Tank, It Is Better To Sit On The Bike, To Keep It Level. I Get Almost Another Gallon That Way. You Are There Pumping The Gas In, You Think Its Full Then It Settles Below The Screen. I Can Sit There And Do That Almost 6 Times Before It Settles Just Below The Over Flow. It Is Not Completely Topping Off. Since I Started Filling The Gas That Way I Get Between 127 And 131 Miles But I Still Dont Let The Revs Go Above 9 Grand Yet. I Have Around 1166 Miles Total.
You Are Right Though, It Probably Has Around A Gallon Left In The Tank, Maybe More, When The Fuel Light Blinks.

"I'll Have It In Black"
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, now I will be sitting on the bike to fill it up to the overflow. I hate filling up and want to get closer to the 200 mile mark.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 11:00 AM

Problem I have with filling it so full is the splashing back you get when you pull the nozzle above the screen. I dont like wiping the drips off the black paint with those abrasive paper towels.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 11:10 PM

Here In So Cal, For Smog Reasons, We Have That Rubber Boot On Most Of The Pumps. So All I Do Is Pull It Back So I Can Fill Up. It Does Block Alot Of The Splash. Otherwise I Will Be 2 Gallons Short Of Full. If You Need To, Just Wrap A Couple Of The Towels Around Nozzle.
I Have The Tail Bag Most Of The Time And I Carry Meguiar's Instant Detailer Spray In There.
At Work It Does Not Matter Where I Park My Bike, A Bird Will ***** On It. So I Keep The Detailer And A Microfiber Cloth In There.
If You Drop That Rag Never Use It Again. Wash Or Replace. 1 Grain Of Sand And There Goes Your Paint. Cheaper To Get Another Cloth Than A Paint Job. Any Detailer Spray Would Work Though. I Like It Because It Is A Small Bottle And Cleans All Parts Of The Bike.

"I'll Have It In Black"
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 11:16 PM

Oh By The Way, Most Of The Test Riders Are Averaging 36 mpg To 42 mpg.

"I'll Have It In Black"
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 06:48 PM

I am getting 48.5 mpg (US) or 4.85l/100km. I have had 30km (19 miles) showing on the fuel trip but still had 5 l in the tank, about 1.25gal. The trip was at about 250 km/155 mi. So...according to my calculation I should get 217 miles per tank, but I prefer not to find out exactly.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deweezel View Post
I am getting 48.5 mpg (US) or 4.85l/100km.
Well that sounds promising. As soon as the new wears off and I can just ride "normally" I will have to see what kind of mileage I can get. Right now I am just having way too much fun and twist the throttle way to much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ8 Forum : Fazer8 FZ-8 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page