Pucker factor of 9.7 - Yamaha FZ8 Forum : Fazer8 FZ-8 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Pucker factor of 9.7

I would like to say I was running about 135 through some tight twisties but that would be a lie.
No I was almost hit by a 3 quarter ton Ford 4X4 "Super Duty" (it is stamped into the grill of the truck) while I was parking my bike

I was in a strip mall type parking lot backing my baby up into the front of the parking spot up against the curb. I was next to a mid size sedan and looking back towards the curb when all of a sudden this huge truck comes whipping into my parking spot at a high rate of speed. The guy slammed on his brakes and came to a screeching stop about 2 inches away from my bike.
Scarred the you know what out of me and then I got mad. I took off my helmet and started to share my feelings with him and he was unimpressed and just backed out and parked several spots down.
I wanted to get off and go down to where he was parked and do something stupid, but realized it was not worth going to jail. So I just sat there cooled off/calmed down - got my stuff from the store and left.

So now I have had time to think about the incident and it was not like I was parking next to a Suburban or something that which would have totally blocked his view. It was a Toyota Camry or something like that. Got me to questioning whether it is better to park up close to the curb or at the back when there is no motorcycle parking.

What do you do?

Last edited by tanracing; 08-06-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 09:48 AM

I always park as far back as I can. Remember, most car drivers are dumbasses and especially those at a mall. As soon as they think there is an open slot they will do what ever they can to snag the "closest spot", Its like a badge of honor for the mall slobs.
Better still, park in the middle of the furthest away empty lot and walk.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 07:56 AM

Re:

Sounds like you had a bucking bronco...a real rodeo...yee haw! Glad you pulled it out...sounds like some weird physics were at work too.Not to mention serious pucker factor...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 10:04 AM

at the local malls i park right next to the security tower, in the same spot, everytime. both hulen and the parks mall the tower is out in the parking lot next to one of the little islands. there is just enough room for me to get in between it and the curb. i have always parked torwards the open end of the space in hopes they see the back end of the bike. also try to park where the camera has a good view.

Mental stability notwithstanding, what differentiates the road racer from his "short track" kin does lay somewhere between the ears!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 10:42 AM

Cage drivers only see the open end of the parking space. I always put my bike there so they can have a clue.

Dave

1989 VMax
1994 VMax
2005 1200 Sportster
2011 FZ8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FZ8 Forum : Fazer8 FZ-8 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page